Wednesday, April 16, 2008

tempo tale

I've been better lately about getting to bed early, but waking up before 6 is still a challenge. Napping just doesn't happen for me these days, so I just have to count on my body adjusting. Yesterday morning I rode on the stationary bike for 40 minutes. I had a field trip with Eli, so I knew I needed to workout early, but easy since I'd be on my feet watching kids all day. I was worn-out last night. This morning I woke up to work out, but did NOT feel like it. Somehow I managed to do the workout, a doosey of a tempo run on the treadmill. I did 6 miles total--a 1.5 mile warmup run, 4 miles at a 7:12 pace (8.3 mph), and then a 1/2 mile cool-down. I watched the movie Sahara, a somewhat mindless, but action-filled Matthew McConaughey flick, which helped me during the tempo portion of the run.

For the kids' workout today, after warmups and stretching, which I had one of the kids lead, we did some relay work. I tried to teach them how to do a running baton hand-off. It was much harder to teach than I expected. The older ones started to do it pretty well by the end, but I gave up for the day with it with the younger kids. They did get it right a time or two, so I know they are capable of it, but I'm not going to push it with them anymore. They don't need to be able to do it for competition. After relays, we did some jumping practice. The spring weather doesn't seem to be invigorating the kids like I thought it would. I may need to bring some popsicles to practice on Saturday as an incentive.

Some great news, though: We get to host a meet! I am excited, and I hope it is successful. I think we may be skipping the next couple of meets we were going to, which will help me have time to work on planning the home meet.

No comments: