Monday, April 7, 2008

Spring! (in our steps)


I love this time of year. I love the green, the flowers, the beginning of longer days and warmer weather. Here it doesn't last long enough. I downloaded a new workout schedule for myself and pitied myself as I looked toward the bottom of the schedule (just a few short weeks ahead) and thought about how hot it would already be by then. Oh well, carpe diem, right? I seized today, anyway. I got up at 5:45 and got a 6 mile run in on the trails. It felt great! Then I did some push-ups and wall-sits as I was cleaning and taking care of the kids in the early morning. I also got dinner made for two families, ate lunch with Eli, and got a big grocery shopping trip done. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight and get up early again tomorrow! (Incidentally, I put on my Wonder Woman shirt today--it's cute and comfy, but I only allow myself to wear it on days I feel "worthy" to :))

For the team's workout, I started by having them run around the mall field from the playground to Chalkville Rd. Then, I thought I would use the big field for some intervals by using the fairly evenly spaced lightposts and trees as interval markers. I thought it would be good to get the kids away from the distraction of the playground. I was wrong. The younger kids got too distracted by the bigness of the field. They found some little wire flags and started wandering off to play. Eli's legs broke out in a rash and started to itch him badly from the grass, which was a little long. SOOO, we moved back to our normal spot by the playground, and the rest of practice went great. We did several rounds of foxes and hounds and a couple of relay races.The kids are doing alot better with cheering each other on. We also did several standing "explosion jumps," in which you jump as high as you can from a deep-knee squat. My goal in today's workout was to get the kids' muscles and tendons springy, loose, and fast for the meets this week.

No comments: