Monday, April 14, 2008

No Pain, No Gain

My team is learning first-hand about the principle that titles this post. They are moving to the next level in their fitness, but, like most good things we achieve, something must be sacrificed. In this case, it is their comfort. Many of them were very tight and sore from the meets this weekend. One parent said something about how eventually they wouldn't get sore anymore. I said they may not get AS sore, but hopefully they will get a little sore many more times. In my experience with running, soreness is necessary to progression. No pain, no gain.

For our workout today, after a 1 lap warm-up and stretching, I had the older kids (who ran the 400 and 800 on Saturday) do 12 minutes of slow intervals (1 minute jogging, 30 seconds walking, repeated). I did some of the same with the younger kids. Then they did some bounding, high-knees, and bum-kicks.

At the end of practice, I presented each child who got a personal record at the meet with a P.R. Bar. This was a candy bar with a sticker on it that had their names and their new time records. I tried to convey to them that personal achievement is more worthwhile than the place they finish in a competition. I don't know how much sunk in, but it won't be the last time they here this message from me.

For my workout, I ran approx. 7 miles at an easy pace through the trails in the sports complex and down to the library and back. It took just under an hour.

No comments: