Saturday, April 5, 2008

Race + Pyramid workout

This week I've been pretty sick with bronchitis (again). I got feeling better yesterday and decided to try to run in the Casey's Cause 5k today. I had wanted to run in it, but after I got sick had pretty much ruled it out. I probably should have stuck with that decision, but desire won over sense. The race started right by the track, and I run alot of the course on my Saturday morning runs anyway, AND it was for a great cause (www.caseyscause.org). I paid my fee and started warming up and felt pretty good. About 10 minutes later, though, I started getting really light-headed. I really wanted to go lie down somewhere, but the race was about to start. I started mentally preparing myself and tried to focus on the race. Well, I ran--not very fast, but I did it. My time was 23:30. Far from my best, but good enough to be the first female, which surprised me. I averaged a 7:33 pace (see http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/pacecalculator )
I just added this insanely flattering picture of me that a photographer sent from the race finish. He's putting it in some running publication. Lovely.
For the team this morning, I had them do a pyramid workout. They did a 1-lap warmup (which I'm going to start having them do every time to add to building their endurance), and then we stretched. Then they raced a 100, 200, 400, 200, and a 100. It wore them out. Then we walked over to practice shot-put with our new REAL 6 lb. shot. The kids really did well. I am really glad I decided to get the real shot. It was a much different deal for a 40 or 50 lb. kid to heave 6 lbs rather than 1 lb. Having Matt there was a HUGE help. He is much more experienced and could give them technique advice I couldn't . He also helped with organization and "crowd control" throughout the workout.
This week we have a "scrimmage" meet on Thursday and a real meet on Saturday. It will be fun to see how they all do!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

way to go winning that race, kelly! even when you are sick?! You are a rockin' runner.