Wednesday, April 9, 2008

mile intervals

As I mentioned in a previous post, I downloaded a workout schedule for myself from runnersworld.com. I'm going to try to run in a 10 mile trail race at the end of May. I did the race last year and got 2nd place, but I think I would have gotten 3rd place except about 30 runners got lost (including the lead girl). So, I decided I needed a good plan to make sure I'm ready. I'd love to place again. Last year they gave out cool prizes. I won this sweet Outdoor Research jacket that is my go-to staple for wet runs.
I'm pretty much following the schedule they gave other than one easy day each week that I'm going to bike instead of run.
Yesterday I biked for 50 minutes. I went about 16 miles (well, according to the little computer on the stationary console; I really didn't go anywhere).
Today was my speed-work day. I was pretty nervous about being able to do it because it was mile intervals, which I haven't done since high school. I was supposed to do a couple mile warm-up, followed by three 1-mile intervals, each at a 6:44 pace. I don't have a nifty gps watch to tell me my pace as I go (though I want one-hint, hint, cough, anniversary, cough, ERIC...), so I did the workout on the treadmill. A 6:44 pace translates to 8.9 mph, which I figured out before bed so I wouldn't have to do any calculating before 6 am.
WELL.....I did it!! I was drenched in sweat, and I didn't jog an 800 between intervals (like the schedule said to; I walked 3-4 minutes instead ), but I completed the important part of the workout!! After my slow time at the race Saturday, this helped re-build my confidence in my speed capabilities.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kelly, I have just got to tell you that you have such a knack for writing. I am never bored by your blog and I think it is just because your writing style is so conversational. I like it a lot.