Wednesday, April 2, 2008

hard working kiddies

Today the team worked hard. I could really tell they are getting in better running shape, because in between parts of the workout, some of them would jog rather than walk. After a warmup and stretching, they did two laps, running the straights and jogging or walking the curves. Many of them jogged more than one curve. I think Walker, who is 5, only walked about 50 yards of the whole thing. He was the first one done.
Then we did a 50 yard relay game. They practiced handing off and got their legs going fast.
After that, we did about a 200 yard game of foxes and hounds. I was really proud of little Eli. He was a fox, and only the two 11 year olds passed him--and not till the very end. He was the first fox to finish.
Our final run was a 150 yard run on the curve in lanes. The kids were to practice running in their lanes and really stretching out their strides. They all did well and collapsed on the track at the finish.
I let them each do a practice jump or two into the sand pit, then we called it a day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like reading your blog, kelly. The track workouts are inspiring to read. It makes me want something like that for my kids. I'd like it best if you were their track coach!