Monday, April 28, 2008

Answers, Reasons, and Excuses

Over the last few days Eli has come up with some pretty deep questions for us. Yesterday on the way to church he asked us how old we would be in heaven. Then on the way home he asked who made God. No one can accuse him of being shallow. We answered to the best we could, but told him some things we just have to wait and ask when we get to heaven--so we had better try to live right so we can be there to get the answers!

This morning I ran 50 minutes, 5.91 miles (my route) . The schedule I'm using for my workouts has this week as a "rest" week--which essentially means no speed work or long runs. The reason is to give your body some recovery time. I'm really glad. I can tell my legs need the break. And since this Saturday is our home meet, I'm happy to forgo a long run that morning.

I really don't feel like I worked the kids too hard today at practice--it was definitely an easier workout than many we've done. We did a warm-up and stretching. Then we did high-knees, bum-kicks, and bounding. Then I had them run a 200 and a 400. We ended at the sand pit where they each practiced their standing broad jumps. After the 200, I heard about so many reasons for not being able to finish the workout, from general aches and pains, to sweating in unusual places. They were forming a line. I finally just had to say "GO!" and they all found the energy to take off fast and finish their 400. A couple of them ran it the best I've ever seen them do. With exercise, excuses enter your mind your whole life. I've never read the book, but the title phrase, "The Power of Positive Thinking" comes to mind. Also, the line from the movie, "Chicken Run," "It's all in me head, it's all in me head..."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so true about the excuses entering your head your entire life. Lethargy and sedentary-ism is definitely the path of least resistance. Those are good lessons for those kids to learn now.