Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rain, Snow and Daisies

We've had some wild and crazy weather this week, but it has resulted in some fun, memorable time for our family. On Friday, Eric had scheduled a camp-out with the Scouts. He decided to cancel it because of the threat of heavy rain. Well, heavy rain we got. I ran the trail at Trussville Springs, which skirts the Cahaba River for about a mile on Saturday morning. The river was about as high as I've ever seen it. It flooded two areas of the trail--one area may be pretty pricey to repair. On Saturday afternoon we walked down to the river at the end of our street. If I was a kayaker, I'm sure it would have excited me--but I'm not, and I struggled fully enjoying it because Brandt kept trying to walk as close to the edge of the banks as possible. It was running so quickly, if he had slipped in, he would have been gone. Other than my constant fear of Brandt falling in, we all had a great time.

Then, on Saturday night a cold front moved in. This morning we woke up to about an inch of snow, and by 10 am, it was about 4 inches. By 3 pm, it was gone. "Seize the day" should be taken literally here when it snows. The boys had a great time--especially Eli--playing out in the snow. Brandt made a snow angel and a threw a few snowballs, then he said he was cold and hungry and went inside. Eli, however, stayed out, and he and Eric built a snowman on the deck. Asher was asleep for most of the fun. The pic of him was taken in the afternoon, after the melt, wearing Eli's vest.

I finished up a painting order last weekend and thought I would post pics of it on here. A friend of mine is having her first girl, after 3 boys. She commissioned paintings to go along with the bedding she is getting for her baby's room. I had a great time painting this set--especially thinking about a sweet little baby girl enjoying it in her room for years to come.

Work out log for the week:
Monday: I took the day off. My cold seemed to flare up again, so I decided to try resting.
Tuesday: I biked 52 minutes and did full body weights. I did a couple sets of 40 push-ups and my ribs hurt a bit, but I just tried to ignore it--big mistake.
Wednesday: I ran 7.5 miles with Ashley. My ribs ached the whole time. It didn't get worse as I went, it just ached, especially the more I swung my arms.
Thursday: I biked 1 hour and did weights. Skipped the push-ups and leg exercises because planning to do speed Friday.
Friday: Ran intervals. I ran about a mile into the sports complex then did 20 minutes of 1 minute fast, 30 seconds slow. I didn't wear my Garmin, but I tried to push about a 2 mile-5k race-pace for the intervals. Then I jogged about a mile home. The intervals included some hills, so it was a really good workout.
Saturday: Ran 7.5 miles--down to the flooded river area and back. My legs felt a bit tired, and my ribs were more sore than yesterday. I think the interval workout probably caused that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

all good. I like it all. The Cahaba looks CRAZY!! and I love the cute paintings. I hope your ribs stop hurting :(

Rick said...

Kewl!! In every pic of Brandt by the river someone is holding him - thought that was funny. Nice snow!