Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tortillas!!




We are tortilla eaters. We eat them as wraps, tacos, chips, and even pizza crust. I had learned to make them as a teen from my friend Cassandra's mom, but her recipe called for Crisco, which we now know is the very unhealthy hydrogenated oil (not that we thought it was manna before). So I searched the internet for a tortilla recipe that used some other healthier oil. Sure enough, I found a canola-oil based one. I have been making tortillas about once a week with lots of help from the boys. It was a very time consuming process, so I ordered a couple of tortilla presses. This SIGNIFICANTLY sped up the process. Here is the basic recipe along with an altered one we have enjoyed:

Basic Canola Oil Tortillas
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup warm water

Mix the flour, salt and oil together until it resembles course meal. Slowly add the warm water--you may need a little more or less than a cup--until the dough is evenly mixed and moistened but not sticky. If it gets sticky, add a little flour. Form walnut to golf-ball sized balls and roll out or press with a tortilla press. Cook on a hot griddle, turning after it starts to bubble then letting it cook just minute or less more. Store in air-tight container to keep pliable.

Fiber-rich Canola Oil Tortillas
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup hard white wheat flour
1 cup great northern bean flour

(the rest is the same as above, minus the 3 cups of flour) These were more flavorful, more filling, and more pliable.

2 comments:

The Grush's said...

I need to get some of those presses. We love homemade tortilla's and haven't bought store bought ones since I learned how to make them but it does take a lot of time. My recipe is very similar to yours. It only calls for baking soda along with everything else that you put in yours. I will have to try the flour mixture.

Matthew Hansen said...

Tonight, I am making this. Thanks for the idea.