Saturday, March 7, 2009

Flying





I sometimes dream I'm flying. Not flap-my-arms-like-wings flying. And not Superman-style either. More like Michael Jordan, where my legs push off the ground with such force that soon gravity no longer has much hold on me. They are nice, but kind of exhausting dreams. My week has been a bit like one of those dreams. It has been very productive, but VERY busy.

We had our first week of track practice, which by and large went very well. On Tuesday at our first practice, the only big hang-up was that the bathrooms were locked. This is NOT good with 70 kids plus parents and siblings there. Luckily they were opened toward the end of practice b/c of a soccer game, but I knew I needed to take action. The next day I made phone calls, left messages and sent emails to coaches, city personnel and the high school athletic director to find out how to get a key. Thursday I received an answer and it involved purchasing insurance for the team, filling out usage forms with the school system and coordinating our schedule with them. Finally I had to find a willing parent who was also a school employee to be the key-keeper. Luckily this last one wasn't hard.

On Monday night my dad brought over some info on a pamphlet he wanted me to make for his business. I was grateful for the work, but had to have it finished and printed out by Wednesday so he could take it with him to New York on Thursday. I haven't had a deadline-driven marketing project for literally YEARS, so this was a bit of pressure. But I completed it and I think it went over well in his meetings.

Also this week I went to a recipe club, watched Eli's class, had Brandt home from school with an ear-infection for 2 days and took him to the doctor. Thankfully I managed to get my workouts in everyday, which is probably why I was able to stay sane.

Workouts this week:
Monday 3/2/09: Rode the bike downstairs for 47 minutes--barely fit it in during Asher's shrinking nap.
Tuesday 3/3/09: Ran the trails for 52 minutes. It was COLD outside. I think the windchill was around 17. The ground was very hard--places that were usually soft didn't give at all. I fell once, which I haven't done in months. I did a few weights downstairs, but not a full workout.
Wednesday 3/4/09: I ran with Ashley for 5.8 miles in just under 48 minutes. We pushed the pace pretty well.
Thursday 3/5/09: I biked downstairs 50 minutes and did some upper body weights. I did a bit of running at practice, too. I had the 9-12 yr. old boys, a really fun group.
Friday 3/6/09: I did a hill workout: ran 2 miles to warm-up then did 10 hill repeats Each one was just under 1/10 of a mile. I ran as fast as I could up the hills, averaging 8.5-9mph going up, then I jogged down. I ran just under a mile cool-down for a total of 4.43 miles. That night I went out and swung from a vine Eric had loosened and tried to take off a tree down by our sport-court. When he realized it would hold his weight, he dug out a little track and he, Brandt, and Eli took turns swinging from it. I came out later with the camera, but Brandt was done and had gone inside. Somehow most of the pictures that turned out clear were ones Eric took of me (I wouldn't have put so many of me up except that you can see the little area pretty well in a couple of them.) Eli and I had a blast taking turns swinging. It was a HARD arm and stomach workout holding yourself up on that vine!
Saturday 3/7/09: I ran 1:20, mostly on the trails. I was able to turn my speed up quite a bit at the end thanks to the following line up of songs on my iPod Shuffle: "Hit me baby one more time"(Brittney Spears) "It's gonna be me" (InSync), "Take California" (Propellerheads), "Dead Man's Party (Oingo-Boingo). I love when I'm surprised by several awesome songs to run fast to in a row (and I have the energy)."

1 comment:

Lia said...

that looks like a lot of fun, kelbs!!