Friday, September 26, 2008

Cocosellas


I have a new favorite cookie, "Cocosellas." They have a slightly crispy, sugary outside with a soft, moist middle. AND they have toasted coconut. The only thing they are missing is chocolate--but a friend suggested I experiment on that--which I plan to do--so hold on to your hats for the "Cocoa Cocosellas" in a post to come!

Cookies:
2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup Splenda
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup hot water

1. Heat oven to 375.
2. Spread coconut on baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes, then stir every minute until toasted evenly. Cool. Mix flours, salt, and baking soda. Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in coconut by hand.
3. To make glaze, stir powdered sugar and water till smooth and pourable (may need to add sugar/water)
4. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake 11 minutes. Cool on baking sheets one minute.
5. To glaze cookies, dip hot cookies into glaze, top side down. Then turn and lightly dip bottom side. Use the side of a fork or the back of a table knife to skim off excess glaze from bottom. Set cookies on foil to finish cooling.

I modified the original recipe to attempt to make these lower-sugar and higher fiber, so I could eat some without guilt. Nevertheless, I've had to workout hard this week to justify my indulgence!
Monday I ran 7.2 miles in 1:01. I started out early and slow in the dark at the track, but by the end I was going a sub-8 pace--just took me a few miles to get there.
Tuesday I biked 50 minutes and did whole-body weights.
Wednesday I ran with Ashley. We went 6.54 miles in 53:43. I felt good, even on the huge hill going up to her house.
Thursday I did intervals on the treadmill. After about a 15 minute warmup, I did 10 400's at a 6 minute/mile pace with 1:30 rests in between. Then I cooled down for 10 minutes.
Today I biked 50 minutes and did weights with Christian Bale. It was awesome.

5 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

I like the high fat version of cookies! How would I make these the unhealthy way?!

Kelly said...

I didn't cut back the fat. I just switched the 1 cup Splenda for 1 cup sugar and put whole wheat flour in them. I'm like you--cookies need butter!

Unknown said...

How did Christian Bale work out with you? I want to be in on that secret!

Jill said...

THOSE COOKIES LOOK SOO SOO SOO GOOD. make me some. NOW.
heh....

Unknown said...

great, kelly. now rick wants me to make him these cookies for his birthday. now I'll have to actually use my brain this weekend and I blame YOU! :)