Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gratitude

I've been reading a historical fiction book series entitled "Children of the Promise" by Dean Hughes. It takes place during World War II. In reading this series, I have realized (1) how little I really knew about WWII, and (2) how easy I have it. My generation--and my parents' for that matter--have not really had to live without any necessities, or even conveniences. I have a greater appreciation for all the men and women in the armed forces. And I am trying to be more frugal. Our economy is weak right now. Our country is at war. But most people buy what they want when they want it. I know in some ways that helps the economy, but I believe consumer debt is a modern-day plague.
This series has also reminded me that the truest strength we can receive is from God. People can have conviction about many things in this world--hobbies, careers, money, even national pride. But when the human spirit is truly tested, the most powerful force that will pull a person through is faith in and love of God.

Here's my workouts for the last few days: (speaking of conviction for a hobby :))
Friday: I woke up early and started my run in the dark at the track. Then I ran around the historic area. I went a total of 8.65 miles in 1:13.
Saturday: I biked 28.9 miles in 1:46. Then I took the boys to CC practice. I jogged twelve 100's with Brandt, one 150 and one 200 with Eli (he did twelve 150's and one 200).
Monday: I pushed the stroller with Asher for 53 minutes. I had planned to do speedwork, but Asher didn't nap well, so I had to do the stroller. My legs were tired, so it was just as well.
I took the boys to practice in the afternoon. I ran 1 mile with Brandt and 1/2 mile with Eli (who did 1.5 miles total). I was so pleased they ran so much without stopping!
Today: I biked downstairs for 50 minutes and did weights.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really gonna have to read that children of the promise series. It sounds really good!

Joanna Galbraith said...

I really appreciated the parallel phrase "faith in and love of"... it makes me happy to see someone put a preposition after both words. I know, sad, but just thought I'd share.