Thursday, October 2, 2008

Farewell Summer Smorgasbord

This has been such a great summer for our family. We traveled to opposite corners of the nation, we swam, swam and swam some more, and we ate tons of delicious fresh produce. As fun as it has been, I am ready for autumn weather, and I'm enjoying the quieter school days. The one thing I was really sad to seen end was the local farmers market. I went on Tuesday for the last time this year. I have enjoyed weekly supplies of locally grown squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, eggplant, green and red bell peppers and delicious clover honey. The farmers market has also given me a chance to introduce new foods to my family. I brought home freshly picked figs and even made homemade fig bars--which were a big hit. We all got to try muscadines for the first time--I only bought them once (Asher was the only one who really LOVED them, he would eat the whole grape, seeds and all). Probably the prettiest vegetable I've ever purchased I got this summer--Scallopini Squash. It was delicious to eat, too! I made some ratatouille with it, which Brandt was even excited to eat (thanks to Pixar Animation). I also bought some green tomatoes and "oven fried" them (you bread them and spray with PAM and bake, delicious!!). And this last time I brought home black peanuts. After looking for a picture of them on Google Images, I found that they are typically an Asian variety of peanut. They are smaller and skinnier than red peanuts, but have a delicious, sweet flavor.

Workout log: Saturday I ran 8.5 miles in 1:09. It was a GREAT run. I kept a sub 8 minute pace for about 7 miles of it. I finished at the boys practice. I ran 12 100's with Brandt and 2 200's with Eli. I also got some new shoes. They're Brooks Defyance--pretty comfy so far.
Monday: I ran 58 minutes, around Sherman Oaks and through the trails.
Tuesday: I biked 45 minutes and did weights.
Wed.: I did a 1.5 mile warmup, then ran 3.1 miles in 21:14. I cooled down for about 1.5 miles. This workout kicked my bootay.
Today: I did weights and then ran pushing the stroller for 52 minutes. It was perfect weather-- sunny, about 57 degrees with a light breeze.

1 comment:

Joanna Galbraith said...

oh everything you bought and cooked looked so delicious! Thanks again for your old nike's. They are serving me well!!