Sunday, June 8, 2008

plans

I have all kinds of plans in my little head, some of which reach fruition, but many which either dissolve or continue to become more and more elaborate and less and less attainable. For instance, I have a plan to do a painting for my home this summer. I have a couple of places I'd like to put a new painting, but I haven't even bought a canvas yet. I've wanted to do one with lots of different mediums involved--maybe sewing some textiles and gluing other relief onto the canvas. Some good examples of this are the art of A.G. Hansen and Carole Choucair Oueijan.
I also have been planning for a couple of years to start biking outside again. I don't own a road bike--in the past I've just ridden my mountain bike with slicks. It worked well for the two tri's I did in AZ. The derailer needs some adjusting, and I've asked Eric to do it a few times--and he's worked at it once or twice. I even tried once, but I think I just made it worse. This plan, however, IS going to come to pass SOON. Melyssa wants to start riding, too (I think our sis, Sarah, inspired us with her century ride), so I gave Eric his ultimatum--if he isn't able to get it fixed, I'm taking it over to Cahaba Cycles later in the week to get it done. I'd like to have it going by Thurs, but we'll see.
We are also planning to do a race and a hike when we're in Washington next month. I hope we get to do both. The race is a 10k that is mostly one big hill, so that gives me something to train for. And that training should help prepare me for the hike, which is to the base camp of Mt. Ranier (also won't be a picnic of an outing).
Today I was glad to take a day off from exercise--and I thoroughly enjoyed my piece of strawberry-lemon cake at my parents' house. Thursday I biked 50 minutes and did the most complete weight training session I have in a while. Friday I ran 39 minutes at an easy pace. Saturday was heinously hot. I ran from my house around my parents neighborhood a while then on to Trak Shak to meet up for the group run. I ran with them for about 4 miles then came back home. I was SOAKED with sweat. I went 10.2 miles in 1:20. Here's a link to my course.



No comments: