Saturday, June 28, 2008

Blueberries!!

This morning I woke up at 5:00 so I could get my run in before going blueberry picking. I went with Melyssa and my Mom. We went to a lovely little private farm in Remlap and each picked a little more than a gallon. They are plump, sweet, organically grown berries, and were a fraction of the cost of the supermarket blueberries.
I froze most of mine, but plan to make the following recipe today or tomorrow--I've made it in the past, and it is delicious!
Blueberry Cream Pie
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
21/2 cups blueberries
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

Topping:
1/2 cup Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, crushed
or other granola-type cereal
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Beat with electric mixer: sour cream, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and egg. Fold in blueberries and pour filling into pie shell. Bake 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
For topping: mix ingredients together using a fork. After pie has cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle with topping. Bake at 400 degrees for an additional 5-10 minutes. Refrigerate. May substitute sliced strawberries (also delectable!)

Just typing that out made me want to have it. I've used light sour cream, and it still is yummy. I didn't take the pic above, but that is basically what it looks like. Mmmm-mmmm!

This week I've had some great workouts. Tuesday morning I biked just over an hour. I tried a new route down Happy Hollow to Advent Circle. It was a hilly course, but felt good. I did weights when I got home (pushups, lat-pulls, triceps, military, bicep curls).
Wednesday I ran towards the track and began some 1 minute intervals about 5 minutes before I got there. Then I did four 400 repeats, walking a 200 after the first and a 100 after the second and third. I averaged about 1:25-1:27/ 400. I felt like I was going to puke during the last two. This workout made me realize a couple of things: 1) I am not as fast as I was in highschool, and 2) I need to do more track workouts because they kick my bootie. I was sore the next day.
Thursday I ran an easy 1:07 through the trails. I just turned around after about 34 minutes and did the same trails twice instead of looping back around.
Friday Melyssa and I biked basically the same route I did on Tuesday, except we came back down Hwy 11. It took me 1:14. I'm still loving biking. Melyssa found a sprint tri she wants to train for in September. It's up in Huntsville. It sounds great, I just need to figure out when and where to swim to be ready for it.
Today I ran 1:21. I started out on the trails and added in the Sherman Oaks loop, but when I got to the other side of the Sports Complex and off the trails, I turned on my tempo gear. I was very happy with my body's ability to respond after about 48 minutes of running. I read in Runner's World about doing fatigue training to help with still having juice left at the end of a race. I hope this kind of workout will help me with that.
I did upper-body weights and ab-work after lunch today. Il look forward to a day of rest tomorrow.

No comments: