Monday, March 10, 2008

workout and practice

Today I biked on the stationary for 52 minutes. I went a little over 17 miles. Tried to keep my rpms around 90.

For the kids' workout: First a short warm-up, stretching, high-knees, bum-kicks, and bounding. Then I attempted to play a Simon-says-style game where they counted their steps running. This was a pretty futile effort for all the 5 and 6 year-olds. The 8-11-year-olds did alright, but I don't think I do that activity again. I had read it helps their coordination by making them kind of exaggerate the running motion.
Next, we did some whistle-intervals in which I have 1 whistle blow mean to jog, 2 blows is run, and 3 is sprint. This is easy, but they get worn out pretty quick b/c most kids don't really every jog; they are constantly looking around to make sure no ones passing them. By the last few, they were tired and walking during the jog intervals.

Then we practiced baton passing. This activity was also much more successful with the older half of the team. They stood in a line to do what I have always called "indian relays," where the last one in the jogging line surges to the front, leaving a different kid in the last place. That child then runs to the front, etc. We added a baton to the activity by having the person in the first position in line say, "Stick!" as soon as they are passed by the runner moving up from the back. The new first position runner, turns with her hand out and takes the baton. Then they will pass it to the next runner to move up from last to first position in line.
After a water break, the kids all practiced their standing broad jump 3-4 times each. Then I lined them up for about a 75 meter sprint race. Some groaned about having to run MORE, but I told them everyone who finished out strong would get popsicles on Wed.
They found the energy.:)

No comments: