Saturday, March 22, 2008

my run and track team's workout

First--to answer yesterday's riddle: Neither; the capital of Kentucky is Frankfurt.

Today I ran 1hr 18 minutes. for the first 35 minutes I ran from home through the sports complex and one set of trails, then on to Trak Shak. I stretched a bit and waited for runners to show up for the group run. We got started, but no one ran my pace (I couldn't keep up with the speedy highschool guys, and I lost track of the gals behind me pretty early on--they may have done their own route), so I just did the 5.6 mile loop but ended it at the track instead of the store. It took me about 43 minutes.

For the team's workout: After warmup, stretching, and dynamic exercises, we did some timed races so they'll have a goal time to beat for the meet next week. The four 5-and-under runners did the 50yd and the 100m. They did pretty well, but Brandt doesn't quite have the concept of running forward in a lane yet. He was all over the track and even went into the field for part of the 100.
The four 6-and-over runners raced a 400, 100, and 200 (in that order). They all did great staying in their lanes. When their foot hit the finish line they all would abruptly STOP. They weren't going to run any more than they absolutely had to! Matt helped by taking the older ones to do their 400 while I got the younger ones doing their 50. All the parents that were there helped with the timing.
I think the kids all felt good about themselves, whether or not they "won" today. That's what's great about running. When you complete something that was hard for you, regardless of how you fared in comparison to those around you, you know you have accomplished something worthwhile.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Brandt!! What a hilarious kid! you must be having a blast with the track team.