Saturday, March 29, 2008

running sick--not the best idea


This morning I was awakened at about 6 by my throbbing head. I rolled over and could feel pressure build right over my eyes. I got up and took Sudafed (children's since we were out of adult), and a Zyrtec. I knew I needed to relieve some of my sinus pressure if I wanted to do anything. I went back to bed, but once the Sudafed kicked in, I gave up on sleeping any more and got up. I debated running, but decided it would either make me feel better, or I would feel bad from the get-go and just skip working out today. I went over to the Trak Shak and ran about 24 minutes, then met up with the running group and ran another 43. I actually felt better and better as the run went. I think all the coughing, spitting, and farmer-blowing I did was key (gross, but true...).
Then I went over to the track for the team's workout. A baseball parade was going on right next to the track, so we had several kids arrive late due to traffic. We ended up with 7 kids (including Brandt who didn't last long with the team).
After our warm-up , stretching, and dynamic moves, I had them do 6 minutes of interval training. They ran for 45 sec.- 1minute at a time, and their walking intervals were typically about 30 seconds. They did pretty well. Most of them made it around the track almost twice.
Then we practiced running in our lanes. Just a couple of them needed to work on this, but it didn't hurt the others. They did a 100 on the straightaway, a 100 on the curve, and a 200 to finish out the lap. I let them rest a good bit in between these. For the last 100, and 200, we played Foxes and Hounds. I assigned each hound their own fox in their lane to catch.
Then we went over to the throwing cage and they each practiced their shot-put twice. They all seem to be improving with that. Through everything, my voice was barely there. I felt like it was harder to keep the kids attention since it hurt so bad to speak loudly. But we got through it all eventually.
Adding it up, I think they went about a mile at practice today. Since most of them run or sprint, rather than jog, when they're not walking, that makes for a pretty good workout.

Eric took some pics today at practice. Some of the mid-air shot-putting ones turned out pretty well. We are still using a weighted softball for practicing. I haven't talked myself into investing $17 in an actual shot put, yet.

I've felt like a truck ran over me since I got home. My legs feel like I ran 3 hrs instead of 1. I think my body is fighting off a bad cold or sinus infection. I napped for about 3 hours after lunch. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning.

No comments: