Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cross country's in the air

When the weather starts cooling just slightly at this time of year, and the smells of autumn start to emerge (which a dear friend, Daniel, pointed out to me years ago is, in fact, the smell of rot), I feel like it's time to line up in a field and run a 5k.

Eli wasn't able to do flag football this year thanks to me missing the deadline to sign up for it. While I should have been more proactive about getting him registered for it, in my defense, this is the first year they haven't sent a flier home about it the during the first week of school. I was looking for the flier to come home, and when it didn't, I called Parks and Rec. They then informed me it was too late--registration closed 2 weeks ago. DANG!

But...all is well. Eli and Brandt have joined a youth cross country team. They went to their first practice on Saturday and LOVED it. It was an interval workout. Eli ran 13 100's and Brandt ran 9 100's , both jogging a 100 between each one. This team has kids from 5-18 on it. There were 35 or so there on Saturday, and several were missing-- so its a pretty big group. My heart just pitter-patters with joy at seeing all these kids working out hard, having fun, and hopefully starting a lifelong habit of exercise.
I ran a couple of the intervals with the kids. I would like to have done the whole workout, but I was needed to time the intervals. There's nothing like Cross Country!

For my workout on Friday, I ran a total of 7.1 miles, but it was broken into two segments. I woke up late and so I just ran 3.3 miles before I had to be back to see Eric and the boys off to work and school. Then I loaded up Asher and the stroller and ran pushing the stroller around the "mall" for another 3.8 miles. I accidentally cleared my second leg on my watch, but I think I kept about a 8:40 pace.
Saturday I had planned to bike outside, but I woke up to rain (which hasn't really stopped thanks to Faye (tropical storm/depression). So I biked downstairs. I went 34 miles in 1:45.
Monday I ran outside for 59 minutes. I didn't wear my Garmin, so I would be sure to take it easy. I wish I had worn it now, though. I also did leg weights.
Today I biked downstairs for 43 minutes with Jack Bauer, Ricky Shroeder, and Chloe O'Brien.
I also did push-ups and planks.

3 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

Kelly! I'd love the apple cake recipe. Don't you just love this time of year? That's great that Eli and Brandt are doing cc. I have been trying to imagine the two of them running, and with Eli, I imagine a miniature Rick, and with Brandt, I imagine a miniature Jill. Miss you and your family!!

JuliaCotten said...

You are awesome Kelly, I don't know how you do it. You do kick asphalt for a momma. That is great your boys want to join in and did well. I hope your family is doing well and we miss you in arizona. It's great to see your blog and how your family is doing. The boys especially Eli are growing up so fast, I can't believe Eli is in second grade now.

Julia Cotten

JuliaCotten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.