Friday, August 7, 2009

No time for losers, 'cause we are the champions.....




Eli and Brandt participated in the Birmingham city championship swim meet last Saturday. They did SO well! Brandt swam the freestyle, breast stroke, and backstroke, and completed them and was competitive in each event. Eli swam the freestyle, backstroke, and butterfly and won the freestyle and backstroke. Their team won the whole meet (I think there were about 10 teams there), and Eli received a trophy for scoring the most individual points in his age group at the meet.
Having Eli swim each summer for the last 3 years has taught me something. Eli began swimming barely able to get across the pool (he had to wear a chest float for the first few weeks of practice). He didn't win a single race his first year. And although he doesn't swim year-round, he continues to improve each year. This experience makes me feel much less concerned when my boys aren't the best on the court, field, track, etc, when they first start a sport. No sport I have ever participated in has come easily to me, and maybe my boys will be the same.
I have also decided I want to encourage my kids to have a different sport for each season. I'm not a fan of "specializing" kids in sports. The purpose of their playing sports is to develop high self-esteem, become more physically fit, and to learn good sportsmanship--not to become professionals or get scholarships. I want them to always enjoy whatever they are doing. Eli and Brandt loved doing swim team this summer, but when I asked them if they wanted to do it in the fall, they said they'd rather do flag-football, and I said, "Okay!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I fully agree about the sport thing. Swimming is a good one to have, too! Maybe someday they'll be triathletes:)