Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Eeeeeeeeek!!!


This morning I began my run on the trails. It rained alot yesterday and during the night, so I hoped the moisture had thwarted the arachnid acrobatics during the night, leaving a web-free path for my workout. There were fewer spiderwebs than usual, but I still ran into THE ONE. It completely covered my head and face. I must have blinked just when I hit it, and when I realized I had, the web was so sticky to my face and eyes, I couldn't open my eyes. I was frantically trying to wipe the webbing from my eyes so I could see clearly. My right eye was to first to be clear, and when I focused it, I spotted a bee--still alive-- stuck to my shirt. With my one working eye, I used the side of my pepperspray I was holding to wipe the bee off, afraid that my bare hand might catch the bee's stinger. Bees' little legs can hold on very tight to synthetic fabric. I think the legs are still on my shirt, and just the body was laid to rest along the trail. My left eye took lots of forceful opening and closing to finally become clear of the strong web. Luckily, I didn't see the web architect at all. I might have injured myself in the frantic dance that would have ensued. I am home now, showered and safe-- thanks for asking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha! great commentary on a trail run experience. now that I've spent some of my own solo time on those trails I can really appreciate what you went through, although I've never encountered such an engrossing web! Haha!! That's one of the DVD's in heaven I'd like to watch--Kelly's web encounter!

Simply Scroggins said...

I have more empathy than I wish I did! Callie was with me and caught the theatrical performance. I often miss those trails, but ya cured me for today.